A 2A Primer: The Value of Having a Gun
Almost everything you have heard from our media about gun ownership and use has been a deliberate attempt to manipulate your opinion to the negative. You hear about every tragic accident, every senseless act of violence, every criminal misuse, until you – even if only subconsciously – believe that this is the only possible outcome of having a gun.
No one needs to own a gun. No citizens ever use them in self-defense. Semi-automatic rifles are tools of war and no one has ever used them in self-defense. Children should never be allowed access to them. The elderly would just have them taken away and used against them. People who want to carry a gun are just looking for an excuse to kill someone.
Any of that sound familiar?
Over the last week, I’ve put together the list below. It contains almost one hundred and fifty stories from local news websites from around the country. Each line is a link directly to the source – no spin, no statistical sleight of hand, no third-hand internet rumors. Each represents an individual just like you who avoided or prevented bodily harm because they were armed.
Ironically, the list includes armed robbers as young as 16 who will be included among “child deaths from handguns” despite the fact that they were killed in the commission of a violent crime. But it also includes even younger children who defended themselves from home invaders because they had access to family firearms. It includes elderly citizens targeted for assault - and, in at least one case, rape - by much younger and stronger assailants. It includes the use of an AR-15 to defend against a smash-and-grab armed robbery, against five-to-one odds. It includes people attacked by animals while walking through their own neighborhoods. It includes people who actually complied with robbers’ demands and only fought back when they were threatened with further violence. It includes armed citizens who rendered first aid to the very attackers they were forced to shoot.
In other words, it refutes, with evidentiary links, almost every perception shaped by our media.
These are far from the only instances. They don’t include the citizens who are seen to be armed, causing a predator to move on without any interaction – no crime, no report, no news. They don’t include other reported incidents for which I could find no local links, or links only from obviously pro-gun sources. It was also not an exhaustive search – barely two hours to identify them all from various online sources* and then perhaps another six hours to vet them and look for appropriate links.
Yet, with as limited a scope as all that, I easily found almost one hundred and fifty incidents from January of 2015 until today - roughly one person defending themselves and others every two and a half days.
The headlines alone are enough to tell the tales, but I hope you take the time to read these stories, to put yourself in the intended victims’ shoes, and to see for yourself the value - if not the necessity - of our Second Amendment protections. This is the side of the gun control argument that is rarely discussed, and often maligned. But it's the side that deals with lives saved, and security preserved.
It's the side that needs to be known.
- 1/2/2015 Two men armed with a shotgun attempted to rob a couple sitting in their care. The intended male victim was licensed to carry a concealed weapon, however, and shot both attackers, killing one.
- 1/5/2015 A 31-year-old man wrapped up a night of erratic and dangerous behavior by accosting a 65-year-old man. As the younger man grew more aggressive, the older gentleman drew his licensed concealed handgun and fire a single, fatal shot.
- 1/9/2015 A barbershop patron with a concealed carry permit shot and killed an armed robber. The criminal was in the process of patting down other customers when the citizen drew and fired.
- 1/10/2015 An armed robber opened fire on a deli clerk, who returned fire, driving him off.
- 1/11/2015 Two men approached a female pizza delivery driver as though they were picking up the order she was delivering. Instead, they forced her out of her vehicle at gunpoint and proceeded to rob her. She was able to draw her own pistol, shooting one in the face and driving them both off.
- 1/13/2015 An armed robber approached a man parked outside a fast food restaurant. The intended victim drew his own licensed, concealed pistol and fired first, killing the assailant.
- 1/14/2015 Two men attempted to rob a woman, who drew her own licensed, concealed pistol and wounded one of them.
- 1/14/2015 An armed robber pointed a pistol at the owner of a NJ deli, who fired his own concealed handgun, killing the criminal.
- 1/22/2015 An armed robber approached two land surveyors and demanded their cash and cell phones. Instead, one of the intended victims shot the man, wounding him.
- 1/25/2015 A woman robbing an Arby's at knifepoint was stopped and held for police by a citizen armed with a pistol.
- 1/25/2015 A ski-masked man with a pistol attempted to rob a food store and was killed in a shootout with by the armed owner.
- 1/26/2015 Two armed home invaders kicked in the front door of a home just after midnight. The homeowner grabbed his pistol and exchanged over 30 shots before driving them off.
- 2/4/2015 A masked 18-year-old attempted to use a realistic-looking pellet gun to rob a 67-year-old concealed carrier. The intended victim drew his gun during their struggle and fired a single, fatal shot.
- 2/7/2015 Two men kicked in the door of a home, threatening to "light the place up." They were confronted the homeowner, alone with his 3-year-old-daughter, who shot one when they continued to advance.
- 2/10/2015 A man high on meth attempted several carjackings, until an armed driver ordered him to stop or be shot.
- 2/10/2015 A man with a criminal history of arson and sexual offenses was shot and killed by a woman as he attempted to force entry into her home.
- 2/18/2015 An armed man attempted to rob a pharmacy and was in the process of point his gun at employees, when pharmacist drew his licensed concealed pistol and fired three fatal shots.
- 2/18/2015 A drunk man was threatening diner patrons with a knife, until an armed customer told him to put away his weapon. Responding police had to taser the man to handcuff him.
- 2/23/2015 Two men kicked in the door of a home, waking the resident. The homeowner fired a single, fatal shotgun blast at one of the men, driving the other off.
- 3/3/2015 An armed bystander observed an argument escalate into one man pulling a gun on the other. When he attempted to calm the situation, the gunman pointed his pistol at the citizen, who drew his own gun and fired, killing the man.
- 3/3/2015 Two armed men attempted to rob a group of pedestrians, shooting one in the neck. Another of the would-be victims drew his own weapon, wounding the shooter and driving off his accomplice.
- 3/9/2015 Three teens forced their way into a home, shooting the resident who, though wounded, returned fire and killed his assailant, driving off the others.
- 3/9/2015 An attempted robber used a contaminated needle to threaten a woman as she withdrew cash from an ATM. She drew her licensed, concealed pistol and the man fled.
- 3/12/2015 A woman home along with her toddler was forced to shoot a man who had broken his way into her home through a window.
- 3/18/2015 A man walking his dogs was attacked by a pit bull which had escaped its yard. He ended the attack with a single shot from his concealed pistol.
- 3/18/2015 An 84-year-old man was assaulted and robbed by a much younger attacker. When he turned his attention to the elderly man's wife, however, his first victim drew a concealed pistol and aimed it at him, causing him to flee.
- 3/22/2015 A man opened fire on neighborhood barbershop, crowded with children as well as adults. One of the patrons was a licensed concealed carrier who shot him several times, ending the rampage.
- 3/26/2015 A hit-&-run driver pulled a pistol on a witness who followed him from the accident. The witness drew a pistol of his own, causing the man to flee.
- 3/26/2015 A masked man brandishing a gun attempted to rob a car dealership but was killed by an armed employee.
- 3/30/2015 A concealed-carrier was one of two men lured into a robbery by an ad for a Playstation for sale. He drew his own weapon when confronted by an armed robber, causing the man to flee.
- 3/30/2015 Two men armed with handguns attempted to rob a pedestrian, who drew his own licensed, concealed pistol. During the course of the shootout, he wounded one and drove off the other.
- 3/31/2015 A hit-&-run driver returned to the scene of the accident scene and tried to run over the victim. The intended target, however, was carrying a licensed concealed handgun, and wounded his assailant.
- 4/1/2015 A man forced himself into his ex-girlfriend's parked car and began beating her in full view of multiple witnesses. She was able to reach her handgun and fire, wounding him in the leg and saving herself from further injury.
- 4/3/2015 A carjacker, driving away with the vehicle's owner clinging to the hood, was stopped by an armed citizen who shot him once in the shoulder.
- 4/7/2015 A pizza delivery man was confronted by an armed robber, who fled when the driver drew his own gun.
- 4/14/2015 A man walking toward his car was accosted by two armed robbers. The man drew his own pistol and exchanged fire with the assailants, driving them off.
- 4/14/2015 A man shopping with his children was struck on the shoulder by another shopper who inexplicably attacked him with a baseball bat. The father drew his pistol and, without needing to fire, detained the attacker until police arrived.
- 4/19/2015 A couple walking their dog was attacked by a stray pit bull. The woman, a licensed concealed-carrier, shot and killed the animal before it could do serious harm.
- 4/19/2015 A concealed-carrier saw a man open fire into a crowd of people on a busy street. He fired his own weapon, wounding the man and stopping the rampage.
- 4/19/2015 An armed robber ordered two liquor store clerks to the ground but found himself in a gunfight as one drew his concealed pistol and fired. The robber fled.
- 4/24/2015 An elderly man was being beaten by a group of seven attackers, prompting a concealed permit holder to draw his gun, dispersing them.
- 4/27/2015 A couple broke into an occupied home but fled when the owner fired a shot at them.
- 4/30/2015 An armed robber pointed a pistol at an employee of a check-cashing store, who then drew his own licensed, concealed handgun and shot the man dead.
- 5/2/2015 A concealed-carry license holder attempted to stop a carjacking by pointing his gun at the robber. The robber, however, advanced on him instead, and was killed by a single shot to the chest.
- 5/4/2015 A man claiming to be armed entered another man's backyard and demanded money. The homeowner, who actually was armed, drew his gun and caused the intruder to flee.
- 5/6/2015 A man began shooting randomly into a fire house crowded with children. Two firefighters, both concealed carriers, drew their guns and ultimately disarmed the man.
- 5/6/2015 Three armed men attempted to rob a laundromat patron, who was himself armed with a licensed, concealed handgun. The intended victim fired his pistol, driving them off.
- 5/7/2015 Two men armed with a shotgun attempted to rob a smoke shop. An armed employee, despite having a shotgun against his head, drew his concealed pistol and killed the man threatening him. The other robber fled.
- 5/12/2015 An aggressive driver forced a 71-year-old man to stop his vehicle, then proceeded to reach through the window and begin punching him. The elderly concealed-carrier drew his pistol and shot his attacker, wounding him.
- 5/12/2015 A pit bull attacked a couple walking their dog, forcing the man to draw his concealed handgun and fire twice, killing it.
- 5/13/2015 An unknown man attacked a woman as she left her home, knocking her to the ground. She was able to fire two rounds from her pistol, driving off her attacker.
- 5/15/2015 A man held his ex-girlfriend hostage for more than 20 hours, beating and stabbing her, and continuing his assault in a public street when she tried to escape. A neighbor armed himself and forced the man to let her go.
- 5/19/2015 An armed citizen en route to a dialysis appointment was ambushed by a robber, who pointed a revolver at him. The citizen produced his own pistol, causing the robber to flee.
- 5/21/2015 When a man investigated the sound of his garbage cans crashing, he was charged by a black bear. His wife was able to grab a nearby rifle and fire a single, fatal shot at the bear.
- 5/24/2015 A man stealing tools from a truck attempted to run over the vehicle's owner, who is a licensed concealed carrier. The intended victim was able to fire his pistol through the rear window and held the thief for police.
- 5/26/2015 A 15-year-old carjacker who had previously shot at other victims was himself shot and paralyzed by his last victim, a woman who held a concealed carry permit.
- 5/30/2015 Three armed juveniles attempted to rob a group of people moving into a condo. One of the victims pulled his own gun, killing one attacker and seriously wounding the others.
- 5/30/2015 Two men hailed a cab, then held a knife to the driver's throat and demanded his money. Instead, the driver was able to reach his gun, fatally wounding his assailant.
- 6/2/2015 A man walked into a crowded store and immediately opened fire, killing a clerk and customer. Another customer drew his licensed, concealed pistol, returning fire and driving the man off before he could harm anyone else.
- 6/3/2015 A woman making a u-turn found herself facing three armed carjackers, who opened her car door and fired at her. Unharmed, she returned fire with her own pistol, scaring them off.
- 6/3/2015 Drive-by shooters opened fire in a neighborhood, striking a woman several times. Two nearby neighbors, both armed with licensed concealed handguns, returned fire, causing the driver to break off the attack and flee the area.
- 6/5/2015 Two juveniles robbed a couple at gunpoint, and then aimed a pistol at the woman as she attempted to flee. The male victim then drew his licensed, concealed pistol and shot the would-be killer in the leg.
- 6/5/2015 A man lunged into the passenger side of a parked car and demanded money at knifepoint. The female driver, who holds a concealed carry license, was able to draw her pistol and fire, striking the man twice and driving him off.
- 6/8/2015 A man pulled a knife and attempted to rob a woman heading towards her parked car. She was able to get to her vehicle - and her gun. The man fled at the sight of her aiming a pistol at him.
- 6/9/2015 A woman claiming to have a gun attempted to rob a pharmacy. The pharmacist was able to get to his own pistol, causing her to flee.
- 6/11/2015 A man in his late 50s came home to discover an intruder ransacking his house. He fired his handgun at the thief, striking him several times.
- 6/22/2015 A man ejected from a bar for fighting returned with a shotgun. After being told several times to drop the gun, he instead fired a round into the ceiling. An employee drew his licensed, concealed pistol and fired several times, killing the man.
- 6/24/2015 Two men claiming to be armed attempted to rob a pizza delivery driver. The intended victim produced a pistol and fired, killing one and driving off the other.
- 6/29/2015 A man was followed home from a party by two men who had threatened him earlier that night. When they blocked his car on a remote country road and demanded he fight, the intended target drew his licensed, concealed pistol and told them to leave him alone. They attempted to disarm him, and he fired, wounding both.
- 6/29/2015 A 74-year-old Uber driver was being choked by a combative passenger. During the struggle, he was able to pull his licensed, concealed pistol and fired, wounding his attacker in the foot.
- 7/1/2015 An armed parolee pushed a woman into her hotel room, demanding cash and valuables from her and her husband. After attempts to talk him into leaving failed, the man opened fire on the husband. Both victims were able to get their own guns into play, fatally wounding the assailant.
- 7/6/2015 Two teens accosted a 74-year-old man as he entered his car, robbing him of his cell phone. When they ordered him out of the vehicle, the elderly concealed-carrier was able to pull a pistol from his pocket and fire at both, wounding one.
- 7/13/2015 Three teens stole several firearms and ammunition from a sporting goods store, but were followed outside by an armed employee who forced them to drop the stolen weapons. They complied and fled.
- 7/17/2015 A gas station customer witnessed the clerk being robbed at gunpoint. He drew his concealed pistol and fired three shots at the 18-year-old robber, fatally striking him twice.
- 7/27/2015 A man decided to end an argument with a neighbor by shooting two handguns at her and three people near her, including a 1-year-old boy. One of the intended targets drew his licensed, concealed pistol and wounded the man, then kept him pinned down until police arrived.
- 7/27/2015 Five men drove a van through a steel security gate of a high-end clothing store, then three of them attempted an armed entry through the hole created. The owner, armed with an AR15, engaged the men, wounding one and driving all from the scene.
- 7/28/2015 Two masked robbers pointed guns at a concealed-carrier who immediately drew and fired on both. He stuck one, who turned out to be 15 years old, and forced his partner and an unidentified getaway driver to flee the scene.
- 7/31/2015 A man was assaulting his estranged wife and threatening to slit her throat, when a concealed-carrier noticed the scene and drew his pistol. The assailant fled and was later arrested after being Tased by police.
- 8/1/2015 Police responding to reports of a robbery instead found the dead body of a robber. From the limited details available, a man and woman were accosted by two men, and one of the intended victims shot the attacker.
- 8/3/2015 Four teens tried to rob two adults but, when one pointed a pistol at the pair, one of the intended victims drew his licensed, concealed gun and fired. The intended victims provided first aid while the other three robbers fled, but the wound proved fatal.
- 8/7/2015 A 19-year-old woman was being "beaten to death" by her ex-boyfriend until a homeless man pepper-sprayed the attacker and then fled the scene. The boyfriend tracked the man down and shot at him, wounding him. Despite being homeless, the intended victim was legally armed and returned fire, driving off the abuser.
- 8/10/2015 A man walking home in the early hours was confronted by a stranger threatening to kill him. The assailant then opened fire but missed, prompting the victim to draw his licensed, concealed pistol and return fire, wounding his attacker in the leg.
- 8/10/2015 Two men armed with knives broke into an elderly woman's home and attempted to rape her. She was able to use a firearm to drive them from the home.
- 8/11/2015 A customer who left his vehicle running as he paid for gas saw a thief drive off in the car. He pursued the man, only to have the thief shoot him. He drew his own concealed weapon and returned fire, wounding the armed robber as well, who was then apprehended by police.
- 8/14/2015 A homeowner opened his front door to investigate noises outside, only to be immediately shot by a home invader. The man returned fire with the pistol he was carrying in the home, driving off his attacker.
- 8/18/2015 Two burglars returned to the home they had just robbed, only to be confronted by the homeowners who held them at gunpoint.
- 8/20/2015 A 14-year-old boy babysitting his 6-year-old siblings used his .22 rifle to scare off home invaders, who fled the home after seeing the boy aim the gun at them.
- 8/21/2015 Two armed men attempted to rob a couple, shooting one victim in the leg. The wounded man drew the pistol he was licensed to carry and shot his assailant in the chest.
- 8/23/2015 Two men ordered "all of your money" at a Dunkin' Donuts. When asked if they were joking, they said no - at which point the clerk pulled his licensed pistol. The men then claimed they had been joking and fled the store.
- 8/26/2015 A pastor confronted a man burglarizing his church. He briefly held the man at gunpoint, but the thief ran off as police arrived.
- 8/26/2015 Two armed home invaders burst into an apartment occupied by six people, including a month-old baby. One of the residents immediately opened fire, killing one and driving off the other.
- 9/2/2015 A man walked into a gas station, demanding money and claiming to be armed. The clerk, who was armed, drew his pistol, causing the would-be robber to flee.
- 9/2/2015 A 17-year-old robber pulled a gun on a man, demanding his sunglasses. The would-be victim drew his own licensed, concealed pistol and fired, striking the younger man several times.
- 9/3/2015 Two armed teenagers attempted to rob a 50-year-old man at an ATM. The older man drew his licensed, concealed pistol and shot both, despite having been wounded himself.
- 9/3/2015 An 11-year-oldbabysitting his 4-year-old sibling used his mother's gun to fire at a pair of home invaders who had forced their way into the home. He killed a 16-year-old intruder and drove off the young criminal's 22-year-old partner.
- 9/6/2015 A local business owner returned home to his wife and child, unaware that he had been followed by robbers who pushed him as he unlocked the door. He was able to draw his licensed, concealed handgun and critical wound two of his attackers, and police are investigating how many others were involved.
- 9/14/2015 A grocery store owner was closing up when a masked man pointed a pistol at him and demanded money. The would-be victim drew his own pistol, causing the would-be robber to flee.
- 9/21/2015 An armed man robbed a bank and, as he was leaving, threatened a 63-year-old customer. The customer drew his licensed, concealed handgun and fired several times, striking the robber in three of his limbs and immobilizing him until police arrived.
- 9/22/2015 Two home invaders tied up a 72-year-old man. He was able to work himself free, however, and arm himself with a pistol. The robbers fled but were later apprehended.
- 9/22/2015 A 27-year-old man attempted to rob a 75-year-old woman inside her rental office. When he pointed a gun at her, the woman's husband opened fire with his own handgun, striking the armed robber several times.
- 9/25/2015 An aggressive driver nearly struck another vehicle, then followed the other car until it pulled over and began attacking the other driver. The beating victim's wife asked the attacker to stop to no avail, until she repeated the request while pointing a pistol at the aggressor. He complied and fled.
- 9/28/2015 A man who had beaten his girlfriend the night before returned to her home to continue his assault. She fired several shots from her licensed pistol, sending him fleeing to a waiting vehicle, driven by an unknown second man.
- 9/28/2015 An armed man attempted to rob a liquor store but was shot and killed by his intended victim.
- 10/5/2015 A disturbed man attempted to drag a driver from her car, despite her screams that her two children were in the back. As she struggled with the man, a concealed-carrier drew his gun, ordered the man to stop, and held him for police.
- 10/5/2015 Three home invaders robbed and assaulted a man until he armed himself and fired five rounds. All three robbers were hit, and fled to a waiting vehicle driven by a fourth man.
- 10/6/2015 A 65-year-old man was accosted in his own driveway by an armed man demanding money. The older man drew his licensed, concealed pistol and exchanged fire with the assailant, who fled the scene.
- 10/9/2015 Two armed robbers accosted a man walking home late at night. The man was carrying a licensed, concealed handgun and opened fire, killing one robber and wounding the other.
- 10/9/2015 Two man were forcing a woman to withdraw cash from an ATM when her screams were heard by a concealed-carrier, who frightened the assailants away.
- 10/11/2015 An armed man was attempting to rob a café and its patrons, when another customer drew his licensed, concealed pistol and fired a single, fatal shot.
- 10/11/2015 A 19-year-old man attempted to rob a Waffle House restaurant but was fatally shot by a customer with a licensed, concealed handgun.
- 10/19/2015 Three teenagers, aged 16 through 19, confronted a man waiting for a bus and robbed him at gunpoint. When the victim realized they were distracted by counting his money, he drew his licensed, concealed pistol and shot two of the three.
- 10/20/2015 A man returning home from work was confronted in his own front yard by an armed robber. The intended victim drew his own licensed, concealed pistol and shot the man, causing him to flee the scene.
- 10/26/2015 An armed robber ambushed a man returning from the store and ordered his victim to "give it up." Instead, the citizen drew and fired, exchanging shots with the robber and wounding him several times.
- 10/31/2015 A man wielding a handgun announced a holdup and attempted to herd employees into a back room. A customer armed with a licensed, concealed pistol shot and killed the man before he could do any harm.
- 10/31/2015 Four young men posed as trick-or-treaters to get an elderly woman to open her door. They aimed a shotgun at her face, forcing her into her home. When her husband realized what was going on, he pulled a weapon from the couch beside him and fired a single shot, scattering the robbers.
- 11/1/2015 Three masked men entered a market and fired a shot. Two armed employees drew their own handguns and fired, striking two of the three, ending the robbery.
- 11/3/2015 Three men robbed a jewelry store, two of them waving pistols. An armed employee confronted the men, firing two shots and killing one, ending the robbery.
- 11/4/2015 A man arguing with his girlfriend began striking her in the head with a hammer. A passing citizen witnessed the attack and shot the man once, killing him before he could inflict more harm.
- 11/4/2015 A breastfeeding young mother heard two men kicking in her front door. She rushed to secure the baby and retrieve her husband's pistol, during which time the men gained entry. The invaders shot her twice upon seeing her, but she then returned fire, driving them from the home.
- 11/9/2015 A man assaulted his neighbor, beating him until he was laying on the ground, bleeding from the ear. The victim's girlfriend stopped the assault by pointing her licensed, concealed pistol at the neighbor, holding him until police arrived.
- 11/10/2015 A 13-year-old boy was home alone when two armed men attempted to force their way in. The boy retrieved his mother's gun and fired on the pair, fatally wounding one and causing them both to flee.
- 11/11/2015 A man assaulting his wife in a mall parking lot was stopped at gunpoint by a female passerby, who happened to be carrying her licensed concealed handgun.
- 11/11/2015 An 88-year-old woman stopped at least two home invaders who had kicked in her front door by firing her pistol at them. No one was hit, but the robbers fled immediately.
- 11/12/2015 Two teens kicked in the back door of a home, only to be fired at by the homeowner and driven away. The homeowner had survived another home invasion just a few days earlier, and had only recently purchased the gun for future defense.
- 11/13/2015 A couple home with their three children woke to find four armed teens had broken in and were burglarizing them. The homeowner opened fire, killing a 19-year-old girl armed with a pistol and knife, and wounding a 16-year-old boy. Police later apprehended the remaining home invaders, aged 17 and 18.
- 11/13/2015 A homeowner answering his door was pepper-sprayed by a home invader, but immediately opened fire with the pistol he had on his person. One home invader was wounded and later apprehended seeking medical care.
- 11/17/2015 A teen armed with a handgun attempted to rob three utility workers repairing a water line. One of the three victims was able to access a gun in his vehicle, firing a single, fatal shot into the robber's chest.
- 11/21/2015 A man asked to leave a gas station responded by pulling what appeared to be a pistol on the employees. One of the employees drew his own handgun and fired, wounding the man.
- 11/26/2015 A couple responding to a "car for sale" ad found themselves being robbed at gunpoint instead. As the robbers trained a gun on the male intended victim, his girlfriend drew her own pistol and fired, killing one and frightening off the other.
- 11/29/2015 A man on his way to his car was approached by a robber armed with a crowbar. The intended victim, however, was licensed to carry concealed and fired one shot, wounding his would-be attacker and forcing him to flee.
- 12/1/2015 Three men attempted to rob a bar, shooting the owner in the leg. The wounded man, however, drew his licensed, concealed handgun and returned fire, seriously wounding his attacker and driving off the robbers.
- 12/1/2015 A man armed with a knife attempted to rob a hotel guest. The guest, however, was armed with a pistol and talked the man into disarming and waiting for police.
- 12/3/2015 An armed robber pointed a pistol at the head of a a liquor store clerk, only to flee immediately at the sight of the store's owner aiming his own gun in the clerk's defense.
- 12/6/2015 Five men who were denied access to a club waited until the club closed and then followed the bouncer home and began assaulting him. The club worker, who was licensed to carry a concealed handgun, wounded one of the men and drove off the rest.
- 12/7/2015 Three men responded to a Craig's List ad selling high-end stereo equipment with the intention of robbing the sellers at gunpoint. Instead, the two intended victims drew their own pistols and fired, seriously wounded at least one robber.
- 12/9/2015 Two men attempted to rob a liquor store, one pointing a pistol at the clerk's head. The 68-year-old clerk, however, drew his own handgun and shot the robber several times. Both criminals fled, but the wounded man died just outside the store.
- 12/11/2015 A 16-year-old boy armed with a handgun attempted to rob two contractors renovating a home. The first victim handed over his wallet, but the second intended victim drew his licensed, concealed pistol. The juvenile robber fired several shots at the man but missed, whereas the man's shot struck his assailant several times, killing him on the spot.
- 12/13/2015 A knife-wielding robber climbed onto the sales counter of a gas station, demanding money. She fled immediately when the clerk instead produced a pistol.
- 12/14/2015 Two couples were leaving a bar when two armed robbers approached their car and demanded money. One of the male victims then shot both robbers, seriously wounding them.
- 12/15/2015 Emergency Medical Technicians responding to a one-car crash found the driving wielding a pistol and aiming it at them. One of the EMTs drew his own licensed, concealed handgun, exchanging fire with the man, and keeping him from leaving the scene before police arrived.
- 12/17/2015 A gunman tried to rob a 68-year-old man and 9-year-old boy, only to flee when the adult pulled a licensed gun of his own and fired several shots at him.
- 12/20/2015 A man checking out a potential break-in at his neighbor's empty house was charged by one of two burglars. The neighbor, who had armed himself with a handgun before investigating, fired once, striking his assailant in the stomach. He then held both men for police.
- 12/22/2015 A customer at a gas station counter found himself being robbed at gunpoint. He drew his own pistol and fired, killing his attacker.
- 12/23/2015 An armed man wearing a ski mask and gloves attempted to rob a restaurant but was shot and killed by an armed employee.
- 12/25/2015 Four masked juveniles attempted to rob a liquor store, using realistic-looking BB guns. Two clerks, fearing for their lives, drew real handguns and fired, fatally wounding one of the robbers.
- 12/28/2015 An 18-year-old home invader was shot and killed by the home owner. No other details were release by police, other than that the homeowner acted in self-defense and faces no charges.
- 12/28/2015 A man attempting to break up an argument between his mother and his stepfather found himself the new target of the older man's anger. The argument turned violent, and the stepfather threatened the younger man with a running chainsaw. The stepson was forced to fatally shoot him to avoid serious injury.
- 12/28/2015 A 20-year-old man attacked a family moving their belongings into a storage facility. After pushing a 95-year-old woman to the ground, the woman's son pointed a pistol at the attacker. The youth continued to advance and was shot once, halting further aggression.
- 12/29/2015 A man who had stayed home sick from work found himself confronted by three men who had broken into his house. He fired a single shot at one of the invaders, driving all three from the home.
- 12/29/2015 A mother and her two children were awakened by three armed home invaders kicking in their door. While one robber held the children hostage, the other two forced the woman into a back room where a safe was located. The woman was able to get away and arm herself, fatally shooting one and driving off the other two.
* If an average of a dozen examples a month is unconvincing to you, I'm doubtful that more would sway your position. However, if you require more proof or are simply interested in reviewing stories beyond the one-year scope of the list above, the reports are most certainly out there for the reading. I recommend starting with a review of Reddit.com's "dgu subreddit" and the NRA- ILA's "Armed Citizen" website to identify examples, then using the provided details - names, cities, establishments - to search for additional corroborating links.